- Day 1 — Wednesday 6th September 2023
- Day 2 — Wednesday 4th October 2023
- Day 3 — Wednesday 1st November 2023
- Examination — Wednesday 29th November 2023
- Resits — Wednesday 13th December 2023
Unit purpose and aim(s): This unit will enable the learner to understand what Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is, how to accurately diagnose and manage as per the most up to date evidence practice based protocol.
- Understand the underlying pathophysiology and disease aetiology of COPD
- Understand the key elements in making a COPD diagnosis
- Understand the components of holistic assessment for the COPD patient
- Be able demonstrate the correct use of inhalers
- Be able to recommend effective pharmacological management of COPD based on current symptoms and future risk
- Understand non-pharmacological management
- Understand the criteria when to refer to Secondary care
This course is suitable for all registered Healthcare professionals caring for COPD patients in the primary, secondary or community care setting.
This 12-week course comprises of:
- Four compulsory days – 3 full days – delivered either via ZOOM or face to face (post COVID-19) and 1 Assessment day
- 1 additional non-compulsory evening will also be offered
- In order to gain OCN NI accreditation – written, practical and e-learning assessments must be successfully achieved
- Completion of an Online module and aligned MCQ.
- Two reflective case studies – one at 6 weeks and the second at week 10. These will ask the learner to critically analyse an aspect of care that was historically provided, identifying areas for improvement as per relevant guidelines
- On the assessment day:
- True/False Questions
- Four short answer questions – where the learner will be asked to answer two
- Practical assessment – Accurate demonstration of two inhaler devices selected by the assessor
- The completion of an active practice protocol is mandatory for both asthma and COPD
Due to encryption methods on devices in the workplace, you may need to use your personal computer to access this course and the Google Classroom.