Please note, this is not a funded course therefore payment is required at checkout when making a booking.
This course begins on Wednesday 18th October 2023. You will receive a notification ahead of the course start date with important links and content.
Asthma Level 5 Open College Network (OCN) NI accredited.
12 Credit Value.
100 Guided Learning Hours.
- Understand the underlying pathophysiology and disease aetiology of asthma
- Know how to use the diagnostic objective and subjective assessments required to accurately diagnose asthma in line with current guidelines
- Understand the pharmacological pathways for the management of accurately diagnosed asthma
- Understand the potential impact of inhaler technique and adherence
- Be able to accurately demonstrate the correct use of inhalers
- Understand how to recognise and manage deteriorating asthma
- Be able to recognise severe, acute or life-threatening asthma
- Understand how to manage current and avert potential asthma attacks
- Reflect on current practice and its associated with asthma deaths
Mode of Delivery
This 12-week course comprises of:
- Four compulsory days – 3 full days – delivered either via Google Classroom or face to face (post COVID-19) and 1 Assessment day
- 1 additional non-compulsory evening may also be offered
- In order to gain OCN NI accreditation – written, practical and e-learning assessments must be successfully achieved
- Completion of an Online module and aligned MCQ.
- Two reflective case studies – one at week 6 and the second at week 10. These will ask the learner to critically analyse an aspect of care that was historically provided, identifying areas for improvement as per relevant guidelines
- On the assessment day:
- True/False Questions
- Four short answer questions – where the learner will be asked to answer two
- Practical assessment – Accurate demonstration of two inhaler devices selected by the assessor
- Portfolio of evidence demonstrating pharmacological management is mandatory submitted no later than the start of week 12
This course is covered over the following dates:
Day 1: Wednesday 18th October 2023
Day 2: Wednesday 15th November 2023
Day 3: Wednesday 13th December 2023
Written and practical exams: Wednesday 10th January 2024
Registration from 9:00AM. All dates are compulsory.
Due to encryption methods on devices in the workplace, you may need to use your personal computer to access this course and the Google Classroom.
Dates not suit?
Please register your interest for the next course using the form below: